|Rokeby, where all of the documents|
of the United States were stored in 1814.
In commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, the Mosby Heritage Area Association sponsored a two-part event that featured a talk on the United States flag and a tour of the historic home, Rokeby.
|The Library at Rokeby.|
Rokeby was originally built in the Georgian style of architecture. It was started in 1757 and completed in 1760 by Charles Binns II, who was the first clerk of the court for the newly formed Loundoun County, Virginia.
|Painting of Washington in|
the foyer at Rokeby.
In the basement was a stone cooking fireplace, which is unusual as the kitchen was often in a separate building in those days because of the danger of fire.
Of course, the most interesting feature of the home was the large brick vault with two small windows. At one time there were iron bars on those windows and an iron door, but these were removed during the Civil War.
When the British planned on attacking Washington in August 1814, Stephen Pleasonton, a clerk of the Department of State had the archives of the United States moved to Leesburg to the then-vacant house of William Binns, grandson of Charles Binns II.
The documents were put int the vault and guarded by the Rev. Littlejohn, a Collector of Revenue for Loudoun County.
Who knew that all of the treasures of our country were once stored in a basement in rural Virginia? Many thanks to Rokeby's owners and the Mosby Heritage Area for this great program. It was a wonderful treat!